Paranormal Eye Uk
Norton Priory is an Ancient abbey set deep inside a secluded woodland, there have been hundreds of reports of strange sightings and paranormal activity. The building's history dates back almost 1,000 years. Ghostly shadows and the cries of a woman are said to have been heard in the upper gallery, a skull-like face has also been reported hiding within the 12th century underground chamber these are just some of the unexplained encounters here. The abbey is also home to medieval artefacts. Norton abbey is a location that is stepped in history and unfortunately majority of this is gruesome. Dare you be part of this intense night, hold a vigil in the pitch black conditions ?
Founded in 1134, the Priory remained active until its dissolution in April 1536. Within eight years of the dissolution, it was sold to the Brooke family, who owned it for over 400 years. In 1966, the site of the Priory, by then in a state of considerable decay, was given to the Runcorn Development Corporation by Sir Richard Brooke. Very little of the medieval priory remained visible, and it was decided to excavate and display the ruins as a public amenity The excavations revealed the foundations and lower parts of the walls of the monastery buildings and the abbey church . A viewing platform (with audio commentary) now enables visitors to gain a clear impression of the scale of the site. There were other important finds during the dig, including a Norman Romanesque archway, now placed at the entrance to the Under croft – a finely carved arcade with a floor of medieval mosaic tiles, the largest floor area of this type to be found in any modern excavation
The Under croft was built in the late 12th century as a storage area for the Priory and used to store food, drink, cloth and plate. In 1868 Sir Richard Brooke turned part of the Under croft into an impressive entrance hall to the family home.
Also discovered during the excavation were the remains of the kiln where the tiles were fired; a bell pit used for casting the church bell; and a large medieval statue of Saint Christopher, thought to date from 1391. It is made from sandstone, but in medieval times would probably have been brightly painted in many colours. The medieval belief was that anyone who saw St Christopher would be saved from death for that day – comforting at a time when roads were beset by thieves and crossing the river Mersey was dangerous.
The presence of the statue at Norton Priory is almost certainly related to the fact that the canons received one tenth of the profits from the ferry that crossed the Mersey at this point. The Priory was established on the south bank of the River Mersey where the river bends and narrows to form the Runcorn Gap. At the time this was the only practical site where the Mersey could be crossed between Warrington and Birkenhead (it’s significantly narrower here than at the point where the Runcorn Bridge now spans the Mersey).
The Priory ruins are a now a scheduled ancient monument and have been designated by English Heritage as a Grade I listed building. They are considered to be the most important monastic remains in Cheshire. They consist of the Church (where the St Christopher statue was probably displayed), the Cloister, Chapter House and Dormitory, and the latrines. Monasteries and priories were one of the few places in medieval England that would have had toilets. Those at the Priory would probably have been drop toilets – simple holes which opened straight onto the sewer. Water would flow along the drain at the bottom, regulated by a sluice. Kitchen waste and water from the roof would also pass into the drain which would eventually be washed into the mill pond.
In early October 1536, commissioners arrived at the abbey in order to close it down during the dissolution of the monasteries. A riot ensued, with the commissioners being menaced by around 300 local people. After barricading themselves in a tower, the commissioners were eventually relieved by the local militia. The abbot and four of the canons were arrested and imprisoned in Halton Castle, the ruins of which can be seen from the Priory viewing platform.
Nine years later the surviving structures were purchased by Sir Richard Brooke, who built a Tudor house on the site, incorporating part of the abbey, which became known as Norton Hall. This engraving shows the Tudor Hall in 1727.
A member of Paranormal Eye will be at the entrance at 7.45 pm to meet and welcome all of our guests. A welcome speech along with health and safety talk. A Tour of the location this includes inside and outside, Working in small groups, participating in Ouija/spirit board sessions, EvP Sessions, Table tipping, seances and many other different techniques complimentary Tea/coffee and light snacks throughout the evening.
Please remember to bring your torch as this location is very dark. Please remember to wear suitable footwear as this location is an ancient site., and may have very uneven floors. Please bring an umbrella with you as we aiming to investigate many of the vast ruins within this location, (however this may not be possible if the weather is too wet)
This Location is not suitable for people with walking and mobility issues.
OVER 18's ONLY